Xerostomia is a medical term for dry mouth which is a condition that occurs when the salivary gland does not product enough saliva to keep the mouth wet. Saliva is a very important liquid substance in the mouth. It performs several functions. It softens the food being masticated, enhances digestion of food, washes out plague from the teeth and helps to eliminate certain bacteria from the teeth and mouth. If it is insufficiently produced by the salivary gland as result of certain conditions, you will suffer some symptoms. It can be caused by a number of conditions. Here are some of the symptoms of dry mouth.
Symptoms of xerostomia
Frequent thirst: dehydration is one of the causes of dry mouth. If you are dehydrated, you will be thirsty. This is why dry mouth causes frequent thirst. Taking enough fluid or hydrating yourself is a veritable means of easing the situation.
Sticky, dry feeling in the mouth
Dry feeling in the throat: Saliva helps to keep the throat wet and well it is not sufficiently produced by your slavery gland, you may experience dry feeling in the throat.
Sores in the mouth: people suffering from dry mouth normally have split skin or sores at their mouth. Dry
mouth can also caused cracked lips.
A red, raw dry tongue
Tingling or burning sensation in on the tongue or in the mouth
Hoarseness, sore throat and dry nasal passages
Steps to take in order to enhance your oral and dental health as a means of easing the condition
- As it is mentioned above, saliva is very important for your dental and oral health. If it is not produced in sufficient amount, you may have oral and dental problems such as tooth decay. If you are having dry mouth, there are certain steps you should take in order to avoid any dental or oral problems. Here are the steps
- Make sure that you brush your teeth on daily basis using toothpaste that contains fluoride. You should discuss with your dentist what product is most suitable for you or whether or not you need prescription fluoride toothpaste.
- Avoid sugary or acidic foods such as candy. Sugar is not good for the health of your teeth because it reacts with plague on the teeth which result in the formation of acid that eats up the enamel of the teeth leading. The damage on the enamel of the teeth can cause tooth decay. If you consume such foods, you will worsen your condition because you already have insufficient saliva to wash our plague on your teeth.
- Use a fluoride rinse on daily basis before going to bed.
- Make sure that you visit your dentist at least two times per year.