Over the ages, parenting has been a major concern all over the world. If the world must be a better place for humanity, then parenting must be well looked into. This is because; the family is the smallest unit that makes up the world. Some new parents have received conflicting information about the subject matter, thereby leaving them confused. This write up will highlight the result of empirical research for successful parenting.
Here we go…….
- Put yourself in good shape at first. There have been various researches that say that children are negatively affected when their parents are undergoing stress. Although, some children may not be bothered with their parents’ stress. Yet the result of the research shows that a greater percentage of the children are negatively affected. Hence, it is therefore necessary for parents to practice stress management so as to have a positive impact on the children.
- Parents must prevent bad conduct. The parents are encouraged to have a foresight to plan and establish measures to prevent misbehavior in children. Flogging and or nagging will not probably do this. The methods recommended in this case are: tutor the children to cope with situations that may arise; try to see far beyond the present time to avoid any problem from arising; ensure the children are busy, engaged and active especially when they seem to be bored.
- Seek to know more about child development. The tutelage of experts is very germane. The parents need to acquaint themselves with the behaviours that are common to every stage of child development. At every age and or stage, their emotions and feelings can be well understood by the parents. This acquaintance helps the parents to know how and the best way to respond to the child when such behaviors are exhibited. If you will need to pay to get the knowledge, then do so.
- Model and encourage praise. Every problem cannot definitely be solved by nagging, verbal reprimand or any other ways for punishment. One better way to get the children learn and sustain a good habit is to model it with you, encourage such habit and praise it. With this, it is sure that the children will stay and sustain the good habit. The praise must be indiscriminate and honest. It is also recommended that the praise be accompanied with a gentle and lovely smile and touch.
- Make out time for the children. Generally, parents are often preoccupied with both office and domestic issues to the extent that there will be no time to spend with the children. There is great danger in this. It is recommended that some good hours be spent with the kids doing nothing but to pay rapt attention to the child while expressing good thoughts and feelings with the child. The parents can go out for gym, relax at the beach with the whole family or go to the cinemas or games centre just for fun and relaxation. This has been proven to yield positive result in child behaviour.